After the iOS 15 release in ending September, brand new features were announced. SensorTower and Ad4Screen participated to a dedicated session to know more about the opportunities and challenges that iOS 15 bring us.
Nick Sayce, Head of Account Management EMEA at SensorTower and Alexandra Lopez, CMO at Ad4Screen & Relatia were present at “La Journée du Digital” during a session by lead by Pablo Belmonte, UA and Retention Specialist within the agency.
The Pandemic has accelerated the growth of the importance of mobile usage and app especially. Indeed, people have more time to spend on apps and their mobiles devices. Moreover, there is a real transition in people life toward applications usage. Looking at France numbers (app downloads) and spendings, both in iOS and Google Play, grocery, fitness and gaming apps are the one at the top of usage and spendings.
For marketers like you, the focus should be first on the organic side, meaning the natural volumes of app downloads and the conversion rates. Very important to keep in mind : 70% of downloads (SensorTower 2021 data) are coming from browse and search. Organic is an incredibly important part of traffic coming to your app and if you manage to improve your visibility then you increase your organic.
How to increase my organic downloads and conversion rate on the app store ?
There are actually 2 different parts of ASO:
- Visibility : keywords visibility, being featured…
- Conversion : metadata = to icon, screenshots, video app previews
Top 100 performing apps in France are updating these datas quite frequently : +50% of them are updating metadata 5 or 6 times in a quarter. The more frequently you think about your audience and you update your app based on that, the better result you get. iOS 15 gives us more accessibility to understand what your audience is, and use data to inform your decision using aso.
What is iOS 15 release bringing us ?
3 new features appeared last Friday 10/22 (final date for the feature release in France):
- Product Page Optimization
- Custom Product Pages (CCPs)
- In-app events
Product Page Optimization and A/B testsn what is it ?
This is finally Apple’s answer to Google’s A/B testing available since 6 years already. You will be now able to A/B test up to 3 variations of the default app store page. A/B tests can be carried out on icons, screenshots, and preview videos.
Why is it important ?
- A/B testing has shown to improve conversion rates and installs
- Creates equal opportunity for developers
- Helps marketers to better understand their audience
Custom Product Pages (CCPs), what is it ?
This is definitely the most important feature from this release.
Marketers will now be able to create up to 35 different Custom Product Pages per market that can be linked to Paid UA creatives.
The review and acceptation of the CCPs are independent from an app update. Then you get a unique URL that be linked to individual creatives, meanings specific UA campaigns for example.
Why is it important ?
- Marketers can provide a more tailored user experience from Ad Click to Landing Page
- Create different store fronts for different audience segments
- Improved conversion rates from paid marketing
In-app events, what is it ?
Developers can now create in-app events to promote their app organically.
Event cards will appear on the App Store page, in keyword searches, and may be featured by the editorial team.
Why is this important ?
- Improve an apps visibility through event keywords
- Engage existing users and could help to re-engage lapsed users. E.g. PSG could run a premiere or special event when signing Lionel Messi
Bonus : traps to avoid from Anne-Lise, our ASO Expert
- Since the 09/29 , Google limited the length of the title from 50 characters to 30. Be careful when uploading your new app for review, your title Since the 09/29 , Google limited the length of the title from 50 characters to 30. Be careful when uploading your new app for review, your title should be 30 characters maximum!
- iOS and Android ASO strategy should not be the same : metadata specifications and algorithms are working differently, screenshots and app previews work very distinctly.
- ASO is the base of any UA campaign, helping your traffic to convert and download your app. For ex. Apple Search Ads is taking natively your assets to display your paid campaigns. App previews give you +50% chance of conversion.